CMI Level 5 Certificate & Diploma in Management and Leadership
This course will take place over 11 sessions on the following dates outlined below:
23 March 2017
27 April 2017
04 May 2017 (half day)
01 June 2017
14 September 2017
21 September 2017 (half day)
28 September 2017 (half day)
12 October 2017
09 November 2017
07 December 2017
14 December 2017
The CMI Level 5 Diploma in Management and Leadership is a professional management qualification which will be delivered on-island by CMI approved tutors. The Diploma is designed to provide a firm foundation in ideas, techniques and overall competences that will improve management effectiveness and performance and will give you a broader knowledge of middle management skills whilst focusing on the specific leadership areas appropriate to you and your workplace.
If you have already completed the CMI Level 5 Certificate in Management and Leadership you can ‘top up’ to the Diploma by completing the modules below indicated with an *.
All of the modules will be taught using the CMI workbooks which will be provided as part of the programme, and will be assessed via a number of platforms such as written assignments, presentations, and case studies.
- Personal Development as a Manager and Leader
This module covers the assessment improvement of individual management and leadership skills and competencies against objectives. The key areas are:
- Assess and plan for personal professional development
- Plan the resources required for personal professional development
- Implement and evaluate the personal development plan
- Support and promote staff welfare.
- Managing Team and Individual Performance
This module covers the management of individual and team performance and how to improve performance. The key areas are:
- Identify and agree performance objectives for the team and individual
- Assess performance against objectives and provide feedback
- Provide advice, guidance and support to improve performance
- Apply disciplinary and grievance procedures.
- Practices of Resource Management *
This module looks at identifying, planning, using and evaluating resources to meet objectives. The key areas are:
- Identify and plan resources needed to meet objectives
- Select and use the resource supply chain to meet planned objectives
- Monitor and evaluate internal and external resource use to meet plans.
- Organisational Financial Management *
This module looks financial management systems and controls and the impact of external factors on organisational financial management. The key areas are:
- Understand how to control a financial system
- Identify and use a range of financial controls
- Understand the sources and availability of finance to an organisation.
- Leadership Practice *
- This module covers the links between management and leadership, key leadership principles and leadership theory. The key areas are:
- Understand the links and differences between management and leadership
- Understand leadership principles that support organisational values
- Understand and apply leadership styles to achieve organisational objectives.
- Meeting Stakeholders and Quality *
This module looks at meeting stakeholder requirements to agreed quality standards and seeking improvements. The key areas are:
- Understand how to identify stakeholders and their requirements
- Understand how to apply and improve quality standards
- Conducting a quality audit
- Understand how to promote continuous improvement and change.
The Level 5 qualifications in Management and Leadership are designed for managers who want to develop core management skills such as managing resources, recruitment, and information management. These qualifications focus on the development of management capabilities and competencies.
Following completion of the Diploma you will be able to demonstrate that you have the most proficient, current management techniques and practices. Students will also be eligible for membership of the CMI and gain access to CMI resources. This programme will not only improve performance but could also offer enhanced career prospects. It is also a springboard towards further management development and a route to more advanced qualifications such as the MBA.
Alison McDonald has over 18 years management experience in the dynamic world of food retail, which included the role of training coordinator for 6 new stores in Scotland. She has over 3 years local experience as a Learning Consultant successfully delivering bespoke courses to a wide range of organisations including finance, legal, retail, manufacturing and the public sector. Her management experience coupled with her love of training brings a ‘hands-on’, relevant approach to training. She fully appreciates the realities of managing teams and believes effective people development is the key to success.