IOD Director’s Role in Leading the Organisation
The Institute of Directors’ Company Direction Programme is the unique personal and professional development programme specifically designed for all practising and prospective company directors. It is the only programme of its kind to focus on the director’s central role through examination of the fundamental differences between direction and management.
Both Certificate and Diploma options of the taught Company Direction Programme are available, enabling all directors to follow a course of learning which best meets their personal requirements and aspirations.
This two-day course provides a valuable opportunity for directors to explore strategic leadership issues and board members' roles in successfully implementing the corporate strategy. It considers how directors, individually and collectively, can create a culture and environment which encourages creativity, innovation, energy and employee commitment.
It also assesses how to align and engage resources and key stakeholders in the change process, how decision-making and conflict can be handled and addresses how issues such as ethics and corporate responsibility need to be embedded in the strategic narrative. By reviewing alternative approaches and examining best practice techniques, the course provides directors with tools, techniques and ideas which can enhance an organisation's success.
This module is one of four modules that comprise the Certificate in Company Direction, and in attending you can expect:
- A practical approach to leading people through strategy implementation in organisations
- Exploration of the dilemmas faced by directors today including ethics, corporate responsibility and talent management
- An opportunity to assess different leadership and decision-making techniques, ways of handling resistance to change and how all these could be applied in your own organisation
- Consideration of how to establish an environment in which ideas can be generated, creativity encouraged and new knowledge exploited
- Real-life examples, reference material and post-course e-learning that reinforces the key learning points.
Participation on this course will enable you to:
- Create a culture which engages others constructively in the business in order to achieve the strategic objectives which add value to the company and its customers
- Understand what is needed to deliver a successful strategy in terms of decision-making, alignment of resources and people development
- Develop effective methods for implementing strategies or strategic change as an individual leader and as a member of an executive team
- Align performance monitoring with the need to remain innovative as a means of driving continuous improvement and keeping key stakeholders engaged in taking the organisation forward.
This module can be taken as a stand-alone course and is of most relevance to directors of SMEs, including owner-managed companies or family businesses, newly appointed directors and those shortly to become directors.
Institute of Directors - The IOD was set up in 1903 to support businesses and the people who run them. As the UK’s longest running organisation for professional leaders, it is dedicated to supporting its membership, encouraging entrepreneurial activity and promoting responsible business practice for the benefit of the business community and society as a whole.